Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really good questions

4 posters

Go down

Really good questions Empty Really good questions

Post by Lilian Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Have a go at these questions and I will post the answers tomorrow.

This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is
whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'
Lilian
Lilian
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Back to top Go down

Really good questions Empty Re: Really good questions

Post by Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 am

1 - Boxing. Rugby also counts for me as I still can't figure it out.
2 - Moving landmark - got to be water of some sort.
3 - I have wild Asparagus and Artichokes in my garden so I'm going with those.
4 - Strawberries and Cashews are both wrong but I bet people go for these. I think 'none' is the answer.
5 - Grow it inside the bottle Really good questions 713175
6 - Dwarf and dwelling (and dweeb if your Yankie I guess)
7 - Full stop. comma, exclamation mark! semi-colon; colon: hyphen- can you have brackets and quotes? Not sure if they count as punctuation? Oh of course - question mark? Rolling Eyes That makes the seven.
8 - Argh! I got into a huge argument once with this question in a pub quiz because I have had canned lettuce and so didn't accept the answer (and lost a fair bit of money (winnings) because of it). No idea what the real answer is.
9 - Socks, Shoes, Slippers, Sandals, Ski's, Snowboard, roller Skates (Is that cheating?), Some nail varnish (now THAT must be cheating Really good questions 836840 )

Back to top Go down

Post by kidder Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:38 pm

No.6 Dwindle
kidder
kidder
Patriarch
Patriarch

Back to top Go down

Post by VickyS Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

No.4 - strawberries?

VickyS
Matriarch2
Matriarch2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilian Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Here are the answers I was sent. DaveM you did very well (I've never heard of canned lettuce). An extra point for - some nail varnish Laughing

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends ... Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward
. Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons ... Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside ... Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with 'dw' Dwarf, dwell and dwindle .

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar ...

Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S' Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

Lilian
Lilian
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:57 am

You can get canned Lettuce from places like Wing Yip.

B.T.W. Strawberry is wrong Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am

I had cooked lettuce in Greece - I wasn't over-impressed though. Why is strawberry wrong?
Maria
Maria
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm

There is a Chinese girl I work with who has salad for lunch most days (the sort that you make yourself from the help yourself buffet at work) - she always covers the whole lot with ketchup and then sticks it in the microwave for a minute or so. Really good questions 694265

Botanists call the strawberry a "false fruit," a pseudocarp. A strawberry
is actually a multiple fruit which consists of many tiny individual fruits embedded
in a fleshy receptacle. The brownish or whitish specks, which are commonly considered
seeds, are the true fruits, called achenes, and each of them surrounds a tiny seed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm

You learn something new every day...
Maria
Maria
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 pm

The above is a very good reason why you should never do a pub quiz with me - I always end up giving the wrong answers as I either misinterpret the question (especially odd one out's where you can usually justify a completely different answer to the one most people give - my brain seems to be wired differently to most) or I know a reason why the 'correct' answer isn't.

I'm from Oldham and last year in a quiz was asked which English football team is called Latics by it's fans. I obviously went for Oldham, was told I was wrong and that Wigan was the answer they wanted and this dropped our team to joint first and we subsequently lost the tie-break. Apparently, Yesterday is the most covered song of all time and not Louise Louise, which given every garage band in the world has covered, would be the correct answer to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down